Lifford A.F.C Vs Sporting Ennistymon - Premier Division

Lifford came from behind to claim all 3 points against Sporting Ennistymon in Cassidy Park. In near perfect conditions, it was Sporting who took the lead in the 9th minute through Ross O’Doherty. Doherty drove at the Lifford defence beating Adrian Walsh and left back, Ruari Norrby before playing a one two with Joe Gallagher and finishing with a chip over the Lifford goalkeeper.

Lifford grew into the game and were unlucky not to be level on 14 minutes but for a great full length save by Sporting keeper Conor Gallagher from Walsh’s strike outside of the box. Sporting dominated the play in the first 20 mins and were rewarded again for their efforts after good play between Ross O’Doherty and Ciaren Monaghan with Monaghans low drive across the Lifford goal ending up in the Lifford net courtesy of a Lifford defender.

Sporting with the two goal cushion continued with their creative play. Minutes later Cian Shannon found himself through on goal and could’ve made it 3 only for a great save from Sean O’Reilly. This proved to be the turning point as Lifford went in search of a goal themselves and found it when Kilnamona man Mattie Davenport found the top corner after a well worked short corner.

Lifford added a second after a corner in the 33rd minute was bundled in by the Lifford Ethan Cronin. With the teams level 2-2 at the break, Tiernan Hogan replaced Darragh Flynn for the second half. However, Lifford went ahead two minutes after the restart, when Mattie Kearney hit a volley low to the bottom left corner to give Lifford the lead. Worse still for Sporting as goalkeeper Conor Gallagher got injured in his attempt to save the shot. Patrick O’Doherty came on for the injured keeper.

Sporting laid siege on the Lifford goal with shot after shot from Sean McConigley, Tomas Cullinan and Ciaren Monaghan but to no avail. After great defensive work, Lifford scored a 4th after a good counter attack.

Substitute Dean Coughlan found the net for the Ennis side with a low driven shot past Joe Gallagher. Sporting did not give in and again began to put pressure on the Lifford defence once more. Shane Kearney then had a great chance when he found himself 1 on 1 with the keeper with O’Reilly bringing off another great save. Sporting were rewarded in the 88th minute when substitute Patrick O’Doherty knocked down a Ciaren Monaghan cross to set up Tiernan Hogan who finished well just inside the box.

Ennistymon looked for an equalizer and nearly had it only to be denied by the woodwork after a Michael Leigh goal bound header smashed off the crossbar. The North Clare side will be disappointed with the result but will take the positives out of the game, regroup and go again.

Sporting Ennistymon : Conor Gallagher (Patrick O’Doherty), Darragh Flynn (Tiernan Hogan), Ciaren Monaghan, Michael O’Dwyer, Michael Leigh, Eoin Marrinan (Shane Kearney), Joe Gallagher, Tomas Cullinan, Sean McConigley, Ross O’Doherty, Cian Shannon ( Darren McNamara)